Most people tend think of “Stunt Driving” in terms of speeding or racing. However, it includes a lot more than that.
The specifics of Stunt Driving are outlined in Ontario Regulation 455/07, Section 3. It includes:
- lifting one or more of the vehicle’s tires off the road surface
- purposely spinning the vehicle’s tires (that includes screeching your tires as you speed away from your ex’s house!)
- causing the vehicle to spin in a circle (‘donuts’ are against the law!)
- driving beside another vehicle, where one of the vehicles is in the lane used by oncoming traffic but is not passing (no drag racing!)
- driving with a person in the trunk
- driving while not sitting in the driver’s seat
- exceeding the speed limit by 50km/h or more
- driving without due care or attention to prevent another vehicle from passing (if someone wants to pass you, just let them!)
- stopping or slowing down to impede the flow of traffic
- driving too close to another vehicle, pedestrian, or fixed object (don’t invade someone else’s personal space!)
- executing a left turn at a green light before the vehicle coming from the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection (even if the oncoming car didn’t notice the light turn green, don’t turn!)
The penalties can be severe, as you well know if you have received a stunt driving ticket. It begins with an immediate 7 days suspension of your driver’s licence as well as towing and storage costs for your impounded vehicle. Other penalties can include a fine ranging from $2000 to $10,000, jail for up to 6 months, a driver’s licence suspension for up to 2 years on a first offence, and 6 demerit points.
Although the legislation is extensive and specific, we can usually find a means to assist you. In most cases, with the involvement of OTD Legal, we can save you money, further suspension, and/or demerit points. We take your case seriously, and we will do our best to reach the best possible outcome for you.
If you have received a Summons for Stunt Driving, we can help you. Here at OTD Legal, we offer a free initial review of your case and would be happy to provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice about what to do with this serious offence. Call us today to discuss your matter in more detail at 1-844-647-6869 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.