100% Confidential, Free, And No-Obligation Quote
1 Easy Step!
Any information provided is confidential and is used solely to assist you.
Stunt Driving – Ottawa, Ontario
If you’re facing stunt driving charges in Ottawa, the road ahead can seem daunting. Stunt driving is a serious traffic offence that has potentially severe legal consequences. At OTD Legal, we understand the intricacies of these charges and are dedicated to providing reliable legal assistance to help you navigate challenging situations.
What is Stunt Driving?
Stunt driving in Ottawa, as defined under Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act, encompasses a range of driving behaviours. They include driving 40 km/h over the posted speed limit in a zone that is less than 80 km/h, speeding at 50 km/h over the limit in a zone that is above 80 km/h, and driving a motor vehicle at a speed that is 150 km/h or more on a highway.
Beyond excessive speeding, stunt driving charges can also be levied for a variety of maneuvers, including but not limited to, performing donuts, intentionally cutting off another vehicle, and driving a vehicle while not sitting in the driver’s seat (so-called “ghost riding”).
These kinds of charges can lead to severe penalties, which is why seeking legal support is imperative if an Ottawa Police Service (OPS) traffic unit has issued you a stunt driving ticket. Having a professional in your corner who understands these charges and its implications improves your chances at a positive outcome.
Reach out to OTD Ticket Defenders to fight your stunt driving ticket. We’re here to support you throughout the process.
Penalties for Stunt Driving
If you have been charged with stunt driving, you could be subject to some or all of the following penalties:
- Driver’s Licence Suspension – Your driver’s license will be immediately suspended for 30 days.
- Vehicle Impoundment – Your vehicle will immediately be towed and impounded for 14 days. Towing and impounding fees can range anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars.
- Court Fine – A conviction for stunt driving can result in a fine between $2,000 and $10,000 (plus a 25% victim fine surcharge).
Upon conviction for stunt driving, you could face the following consequences:
- Mandatory enrollment in a driver improvement course
- A license suspension of 1 to 3 years for a first offence
- A license suspension of 3 to 10 years for a subsequent offence
- A lifetime license cancellation
- Imprisonment – A stunt driving conviction could result in a jail term of up to six months. It is therefore imperative to seek help from a licensed paralegal who can help you avoid imprisonment. This level of penalty is rare, however, it does happen.
- 6 Demerit Points – The MTO ranks stunt driving as a six demerit point offence. A convicted defendant will, at a minimum, receive an MTO warning letter regarding their license. Depending upon your driving history and current demerit points, you could also be required to attend an MTO interview (that you must pay to attend) or face a mandatory suspension of your driver’s license for accumulating too many demerit points.
- 5 CVOR Points – For commercial drivers, stunt driving offences carry the highest possible CVOR penalty of five points.
- Insurance Cost Increases – Given the serious nature of stunt driving, a conviction may result in no longer being insurable under a standard insurance policy. Being forced into high-risk or even facility insurance can result in thousands of dollars of additional insurance costs.
- Driving Record – Convictions, demerit points and license suspensions remain on your record for an extended period of time.
Fighting Your Stunt Driving Ticket in Ottawa
If a police officer issues you a stunt driving ticket in Ottawa, having OTD Legal on your side can make all the difference. Our team will leverage its vast experience in complex cases to build a strategic plan of action for your situation. We analyze every aspect of your case, from the moment of the alleged offence to the details of your stunt driving charge. Our goal is to ensure that your rights are protected and to pursue the most favourable outcome.
Our process includes:
- Evidence Review: We thoroughly examine the evidence, looking for any inconsistencies or procedural errors that could work in your favour.
- Building a Defence: With our deep understanding of traffic laws, we craft a strong defence strategy tailored to the specifics of your situation.
- Navigating the Legal Process: Our team will ensure that you are aware of all the appropriate legal processes and procedures and that you follow them correctly.
- Representation: If your case goes to court, our experienced team will represent you and negotiate or conduct a trial on your behalf.
Scheduling a Free Consultation
Understanding your situation is our first step. Schedule a free consultation with OTD Legal to discuss your stunt driving ticket. This initial meeting allows us to answer your questions and provide personalized advice. Contact us online, call us at 1-844-647-6869, or text a photo of your ticket to 226-240-2480 to start your defence journey with a team that’s committed to advocating for you.