If you like many others in the province and have outstanding fines you might find the Blog informative!  

First, you will have to contact the Provincial Offences Court, preferably the location that you had received the tickets/fine in! For example, if you got a ticket in Windsor, then you need to contact Windsor Provincial offences Court.

How do I check how much money I owe to the court in fines?

When you have chosen the one (or ones) that you wish to contact, please ensure you have your Driver’s License ready, as it will make it easier for the Clerks to locate all your information.  If you do not have it anymore, then your full name and date of birth will be necessary.  After speaking with the clerks, they will advise you of the number of outstanding fines that you have and the amount owing.  For most of you those will only be traffic offences, though for a few of you there will be a few criminal fines that were imposed.   Below is a list of fines that must be paid to have your license reinstated (reinstatement fee applicable) or at the very least to lift the suspension.

Defaulted fine

46 (1) This section applies if a fine is imposed on conviction for an offence and the offence is an offence,

(a) under this Act or the regulations;

(b) under any other Act listed in the Schedule to this section or under the regulations made under such an Act;

(b.1) under subsection 12 (1) of the Cannabis Control Act, 2017;

(c) under clause 17 (1) (a) or subsection 24 (1) of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997;

(d) under subsection 32 (1) of the Liquor License Act; or

Note: On a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor, clause 46 (1) (d) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted: (See: 2019, c. 15, Sched. 22, s. 94)

(d) under subsection 42 (1) of the Liquor License and Control Act, 2019 or subsection 32 (1) of the Liquor License Act, as it read immediately before it was repealed; or

(d.1) under clause 17.1 (1) (a) of the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017; or

(e) that was committed under a section of the Criminal Code (Canada) referred to in section 41, 42 or 43. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (6); 1997, c. 41, s. 120; 2001, c. 9, Sched. O, s. 3; 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 14 (1); 2007, c. 13, s. 9; 2017, c. 26, Sched. 1, s. 31; 2018, c. 12, Sched. 1, s. 23; 2018, c. 12, Sched. 4, s. 11; 2019, c. 8, Sched. 1, s. 12.

Order or direction

(2) If the payment of a fine imposed on conviction for an offence is in default, an order or direction may be made under section 69 of the Provincial Offences Act directing that the convicted person’s driver’s license be suspended and that no driver’s license be issued to him or her until the fine is paid.  1993, c. 31, s. 2 (6).

Suspension by Registrar

(3) On being informed of an outstanding order or direction referred to in subsection (2), the Registrar shall suspend the person’s driver’s license if it has not already been suspended under another order or direction referred to in subsection (2).  1993, c. 31, s. 2 (6).


(4) On being informed that the fine and any applicable administrative fee for reinstatement of the person’s driver’s license have been paid, the Registrar shall reinstate the license, unless he or she has also been informed that,

(a) another order or direction referred to in subsection (2) is outstanding;

(b) the license is suspended under any other order or direction or under another statute;

(c) interest charged or a penalty imposed under subsection 5 (2) has not been paid; or

(d) an applicable prescribed administrative fee for handling a dishonoured payment has not been paid.  1993, c. 31, s. 2 (6); 2017, c. 2, Sched. 17, s. 4.


(5) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing forms and procedures and respecting any matter considered necessary or advisable to carry out effectively the intent and purpose of this section.  1993, c. 31, s. 2 (6).


Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act

Dangerous Goods Transportation Act

Motorized Snow Vehicles Act

Off-Road Vehicles Act

Public Vehicles Act

How to Request an Extension of time to pay the fine

Once your total fine amounts are revealed, you can then request for an Extension of Time to Pay the Fine application.  Each Provincial Offences Court in the Province has their own separate way of and separate form for the Extension of Time to Pay Fines application.  It can be long and tedious, if you have various fines in many different jurisdictions, as you will have to contact each and every court and follow each and every Court’s protocol for the application.  That is when a Licensed Paralegal can help you!

Most Courts across the Province will and can email pre-filled Extension of Time to Pay Fines applications to you.  If your fines are in that jurisdiction, you only have to fill in 3 areas; including if your are employed or not, why haven’t you been able to pay the fines that you have and sign/date the application.  Once you have completed the form, you return them to the Court and a Justice of the Peace will review them to determine if they are granted or not.  A bit of advice, they only grant extensions if payments have been made!  Hence you would likely have a better chance if you make a month or two of payments (any amount will do) and then send your application with another payment.  

If your application is granted, various Courts will demand a monthly amount or impose a monthly amount.  The others will leave it to you to decide the monthly amount.  Once all your fines are granted extensions, you will be able to re-instate your license.

Additionally, when the extensions are granted, they will remove all the additional default and collection fees they tacked onto the fines.  Therefore, reducing the total amount owing.

If you have any difficulty, contact a Licensed Paralegal to assist you.  

Do You Need To Defend Yourself Against An Ontario Traffic Ticket?

If you need to defend your driving rights against an Ontario traffic ticket you should contact us as soon as possible. We have skill and experience in helping drivers just like you respond to a variety of traffic tickets  and provide free, confidential consultations to empower you to fight your charges. We help drivers throughout Ontario including CambridgeGeorgetownLondonWindsor and from our home office in KitchenerContact us online or call us directly at 1.844.647.6869 or text us a copy of your ticket to 226-240-2480.